About Me

Wellington, New Zealand
megan.l.ransom@gmail.com 0064 027 207 4999 (cell ph)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

ARTISTS PROFILE

MEGAN.L.RANSOM
BRONZE SCULPTOR


Megan Ransom is unashamedly Wellington, New Zealand through and through. “The Capital oozes the arts, I couldn’t imagine having the support and artistic associates I have here anywhere else”. Megan trained many years ago in the Fashion Design field, travelled internationally for over 20 years and has raised her daughter in a rather “bohemian” life style, as her Mother puts it. Megans foster family are Ngati Kahungunu, “going home is full of Te reo, art and culture, I am so great full for the diversity of culture in my upbringing”

During 2005 Megan worked alongside Aboriginal artist Judy Kirby, setting up and managing the State of Victoria, Australia’s first Aboriginal Woman’s gallery. Alongside Ms Kirby and the Victoria Aboriginal Arts Commission, Megan indulged her passion for the cultural arts in the indigenous paintings, sculptures, dance and language. Out of respect and acceptance into the community, her own paintings were exhibited and sold alongside that of many truly gifted Aboriginal artists at the Gallery.

Having studied at The Learning Connection for approximately two years, of which Megan found her true passion of bronze sculpting. “I was struggling with the 2 dimensional concept of painting and just couldn’t connect with my needs in that medium. Having worked with texture and fabric for so long, I just had to have my hands pushing and pulling, feeling totally physically connected to what I am working on, this way I am able to fuse creativity and life into each design.”

A small but exceptionally skilled team work alongside her to help produce the sculptures that are being exhibited in some of the country’s top galleries. “My dream?, my dream is to have public sculptures on display here in Wellington, my home!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go Wahine!!
Show the boys what you're made of!
Best of luck!Kia kaha